This post may contain affiliate links
Ah, Valentine’s Day. Such a sweet day spend with loved ones, only problem being that you’re going to receive a gift, which means that you are expected to give a gift. We’ve already discussed why shopping for guys is so hard, but now we have the added difficulty of giving the appropriate gift for where you are in a relationship.
Relationships today are difficult, and as annoyed as I was every time my mom asked if I was “going steady” with a guy, I wish it was that simple. I wish a guy would give you a letter jacket and that you would just be together, end of discussion.
Today there are like a million and a half relationship statuses. Therefore, I’ve put together a little list of…
Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas for Guys
(based on the Boyfriend Spectrum)
If you’re really good friends with a guy, you probably want to get him something for the holiday. Tread carefully though – if you get him something too nice, he might think that you have a crush on him (see “Crush”) or it might make him feel bad. On the other side, if you get him something too small and he gets you something nice, the opposite scenario might occur.
Some safe gift ideas for this guy are:
- Star Wars tshirt, or whatever weird superhero he’s into
- Key chain for an NFL team, NBA team, MLB team
- R2D2 Keylight
- Luke Skywalker Blue Lightsaber Keychain
- Nike Black Lanyard Key Holder
- Smartphone Car Mount
- Super Hero Tie
I don’t know why so many of those are Star Wars themed. I guess I’m just assuming that if he’s a friend and not your boyfriend he’s probably a dork. No shame in that though, my boyfriend is a huge dork and I still like him, sometimes.
This one is a little harder. If he is just a crush, I’m assuming that you like him and he doesn’t like you back OR you like him and he doesn’t know. Either way, you need to play it cool, girl. Don’t go and buy him something really expensive and make it awkward for everyone involved. And for the love of all things Holy, do not buy him a stuffed animal. Just don’t. Guys don’t like them. They don’t think their cute. They think you are treating them like a little kid and that it’s weird. Trust.
Gift ideas for your crush are:
- Truck logo keychain (Ford / Dodge / Chevy) – this way he knows you noticed what kind of truck he drives, but that it’s not a big deal.
- Wool Beanie (with Ear Covers / without ear covers)
- How I Met Your Mother Ducky Tie
- 12oz Yeti Colster maybe with a decal?
- Thermal Zippo Lighter
- Jack Daniels Hat
Remember. Be cool here. Don’t get your hopes up about any of it. Aim low and avoid disappointment.
3. Guys in the “talking” phase
For my older audience, the “talking” phase of a relationship is where both parties like each other, but they either refuse to admit it, or refuse to make it “official”. It’s silly and is usually caused by a guy who won’t commit or a girl who has been hurt before (probably by a guy who won’t commit).
Some ideas for this guy are:
- Portable Charger External Battery so their battery doesn’t die and they can text you back
- Phone Case so they can’t “break” their phone and ignore you all weekend again
- Tide Stain Stick so they can clean up their act
- Little Drone
- Target and Gun Alarm Clock
- Cards Against Humanity so he knows how funny you are
So, clearly, some of these ideas are kinda passive aggressive. I have a personal disdain for the “talking” phase in a relationship, but sometimes it does transition into a relationship, so you gotta do it I guess.
4. New Boyfriend
Alright you got him to commit, good job. Got to make sure you don’t lose him now. You have to get him something nice enough that he knows you care but also can’t overdo it because it’s really awkward when he gets you a 3D printer and you make him a scrapbook. Again, trust.
- Engraved Pocket Knife
- Bluetooth Beanie
- 36 oz Yeti Bottle
- Jack Daniels Barrel Shot Glass
- PlayStation Controller and horribly violent and loud video games to go with it
- Gun Mug
- Assorted nuts gift basket
The best gifts for new boyfriends are personal and show that you listen when they talk, or whatever…
5. Long-Term Boyfriend
Long-term boyfriends require a lot less stress and effort when buying gifts. You’ve been together long enough that you know what kind of things they appreciate. The issue, though, is that you’ve already bought him so many presents that it can feel like you’re running out of ideas.
- Ray-Ban Sunglasses
- Hexagonal Matte Black Tech Tie
- 30 Oz Yeti Tumbler
- 7 Piece Whiskey Set
- Jack Daniel’s Flask
- Leatherman Multi-Tool
- Harry’s Gift Set (Razor, Shave Gel, Extra Cartridge, Post Shave Balm and a Coupon) for the clean shaven
- Beard Balm for the rugged mountain man
Congratulations! You’re engaged! Now you’ve really been with this guy for a long time, but don’t worry, there’s still stuff for you to get him, such as:
- Big Drone if he can afford to get you a ring, you can afford to get him a drone lol
- Pair of Nerf Guns I got the man and me matching Nerf guns for Christmas and we have already had so much fun with them
- 20 oz. Yeti Tumbler
- LED LCD Portable Mini Projector so you can watch tv in bed since that’s pretty much the only thing that happens there at this point in your relationship
- Apple Watch
- Craft Beer Making Kit
- Wood Analog Watch
- Bear Claw Back Scratcher
- Remote Start Kit
- Heated Seat Cushion
When I was engaged (yes I was engaged briefly), we were so broke we decided Valentines would be handmade gifts and baked goods only.
- “IF YOU CAN READ THIS, BRING ME A COLD BEER” Socks
- 12-Piece Golf Club Set for when you just need to get him out of the house
- Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves
- Flashlight Beanie for when he’s shoveling the snow at 5AM so you can get to work
- Amazon Fire TV
- Roku Media Player
- Luma WiFi System because men LOVE getting angry at technology/internet
- Google Wifi System Router
- Bose Bluetooth Speaker
- Amazon Echo
- Echo Dot
- 5 Piece Charging Station (this is actually a gift for you to organize your nightstand, shhh)
The best part about buying gifts for your husband is that you will get to enjoy the gift too! And since you are married, you probably have more money to throw around, and if you’re super lucky it’s his money you’ll be spending. All of that is kind of a joke. Husbands and dads put up with a lot and deserve something really special for Valentine’s Day and if there’s one thing I know about the men in my life it’s that they LOVE new technology.
Well there you have it. Gift ideas for every guy that you may or may not be dating.
I hope you enjoyed this list!!
What are you getting for the special guy in your life? Please leave a comment and let me know!!